By trade I am a developer, and new to devOps. I am trying to leverage Spinnaker for my Company to help us with our deployment process. We are not big company, but we still need CI/CD system. I am trying to understand Spinnaker concepts before I move to installation quest
We basically need:
- Push to gitHub.
- Jenkins does it 's Job.
- Spinnaker picks it up.
- Runs the application/pipeline and pushes the application to whatever environment.
I have read almost all the tutorials (which are EXCELLENT), but still I am unable to make proper decision how to proceed.
Given our requirements this is what I decided to use (Hope not to wrong):
- Install Hal on AWS/EC2
- Setup AWS (Following the guides)
- Make local installation (on EC2) of Spinnaker
This setup looks like to be much easier then the one with Kubernets, but here are the questions:
- What do we loose if we dont use Kubernetes?
- Guide mentions that Spinnaker might be unavailable when it’s being updated. What does that mean? How often that happens?
- Do we still have capability to use one click deployments, of course with appropriate applications/pipelines?
- Can we still select for example, 2 EC2 instances for QA, and maybe more EC2 instances for production?
- If I decide to go kubernetes way, then do I still need Jenkins?
Please forgive me for probably newbie questions, but I am trying to cope.
Since we are small company, I think we do not need Distributed environment.
Thank you so much for this great product, as it makes me look like I know what I am doing.