Blue/green deployment when deploying with k8s manifest

Sorry to be a noob here. How can we do blue/green deployment when deploying with kubernetes manifest, which I believe means using kubernetes v2 provider? I don’t seem to find the options in the UI. Thanks!

Will

Hi Will, blue/green deployments are not yet supported in the V2/manifest provider. We are currently discussing options for best supporting this with manifest deployments, e.g. with the Deployment object.

In the meanwhile, as a stop-gap, you can “deploy” manifests to update traffic distribution for your workloads and services accordingly.

Thanks.

A quick update that I emailed in a response -

Today, you can do blue/green by deploying ReplicatSets and manipulating traffic (blue/green) by submitting Service manifests. Both would be done using the V2 Deploy(Manifest) stage.

This doesn’t work with Deployment objects, as those are orchestrator objects themselves, with consequences when reaching in (e.g. manipulating traffic).

We are finalizing plans for native enable/disable V2 stages. We took as long as we did since we were evaluating Istio as the traffic management mechanism, and decided we needed to also provide an option that didn’t require Istio. We expect to deliver these in Q4.

@stevenkim

I’d like to learn more about the evaluation you did with Istio. Are there any documents or public mail threads?

A good place to track this work would be in the Kubernetes SIG. @lwander is still in early draft stages with the design doc, will be introducing it to the SIG in the near future. In general, unless we see strong signal from the community otherwise, we’re looking at early 2019 for native Istio support.

Thank you!

I don’t see any topics on Google Groups (https://groups.google.com/a/spinnaker.io/forum/#!forum/sig-kubernetes).

Is it a permissions problem ? Or you’re not using them ?

The Google Group is only for sharing docs to. Discussions are here on Discourse.

@stevenkim

Thanks again!

I’m sorry to bother you. But may be you could give some hints what exactly is meant by native Istio support ? Is there a list of (high-level) features ?

This is still being scoped and discussed together with the Istio team. In parallel, we’re validating requirements from users, so if you have input on what you’d like to see in Istio support in Spinnaker (e.g. enable/disable, set % traffic split), please reach out to @lwander.

Thank you!

@stevenkim Thanks for your update.

I also want to ask about canary deployment for k8s manifest (v2), please.

How can we do it now?
Is it not supported yet too?
Do we have a way to do canary at this time?
And can you give us some info about canary roadmap?