I’d like to get an idea from the community about the pros and cons of different methods of getting a production-ready spinnaker deployed. From the docs, spinnaker looks like the right solution for my organization’s CD needs, but I’d like to evaluate it in a form as close to what our final production system will look like.
Another desire is to deploy spinnaker in a manner as close to possible as our actual application deployment (AWS, kubernetes, helm charts) to reduce the amount of cognitive overhead necessary for our SRE team.
After a very small amount of investigation, I see three approaches to this: halyard, armory dot io and the helm charts in the github repo kubernetes/charts, at
My sense of the pros/cons of these are:
Halyard (kubernetes V1/V2 deployment)
- supported by the official spinnaker project
- super easy to get started
- doesn’t work out of the box as well as I hoped
- a bit of a black box
- requires a bit of extra config through the
armory dot io
- enterprise support
- packaged product, hopefully easy to deploy
- unclear on pricing model (have contacted them, waiting for a response)
- worried about vendor lock-in
- worried about lack of configurability/flexibility
- fits in well with our organisational expertise
- more easy to configure/customise (hopefully)
- doesn’t work out of the box as well as I had hoped
- worried that charts won’t be supported/updated as spinnaker project progresses.
I’ve only been investigating this for a few days, so I may have missed or misunderstood many details. Any insight on how Spinnaker is being deployed in production would be very welcome.